Stop making your business your religion.
“'Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.'”
- Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)
I'm a few weeks into this whole new way of decision-making that I shared last week and baybeee?! Let me tell you, the way it has helped me slow ALL the way down?! The weird thing too is that giving God this intentional time of waiting before moving on decisions has actually opened up space and time that I didn't know I had. Now, instead of feeling like I'm on a hamster wheel every day, I've been feeling like I've got more time to rest, receive from Him, spend with family, etc. This has shown me, once again, that God's ways are just not our ways (and they're so much better) because:
God will have you out here getting more done by doing less. He's so awesome!
A really good friend of mine shared this week's scripture & translation with me and I thought it was so aligned that I had to share. I Googled some definitions of the word "religion" and this one gathered me: "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance." That word "supreme" though 🤦🏾♀️ It was fine until they put "supreme" in there, sheesh.
As I compare that definition with this week's scripture translation, I can't help but ask, has your business become your "religion"? I've got to be honest and say mine was. And it was wearing me OWT. As I'm writing these words I'm reminded that Jesus came to give us life—not religion—and that more abundantly (John 10:10). If your business has been burning you out, it may be time to take a rest and come to Jesus.
You don't have to be a slave to every the whim, idea or strategy that comes to you; you can put them in their place by resting in Jesus. And the beautiful thing is that you can find greater productivity, effectiveness & enjoyment when you do. I pray that God reveals this to you and that you find that you're able to accomplish more from a place of rest than you ever were before in Jesus' name. Happy resting!
Still hungry? Eat some more //
- Luke 10:38-42→ coming to Him / resting in Him looks a whole lot more like Mary than Martha.
Things you can do while you wait (follow up to last week's devotional) Also shout out to my close friends and mastermind ladies for sharing a few of these ideas too:
- REST! And do it by doing just what Jesus says in this week's scripture and learn from Him (aka, get into the Word and literally study Him, read the things He taught)
- Get wisdom (Proverbs 4:7) - what should you know from your industry about this idea or strategy? As a friend of mine said recently, we'd probably talk ourselves out of half our ideas if we just waited on them a little bit. God wouldn't even have to say anything lol
- Continue to read & study God's word around that topic or just in general (Psalm 119:105)
- Worship & Praise (This method is another beautiful way to worship that I've been enjoying recently. Instructions start about 13-ish minutes in)
- Pray in the Spirit
- Check in with yourself to see if the idea you're considering is coming from a place of fear, comparison, lack, being thirsty, being selfish, competition, etc
- Turn off social / mute people as needed
- Work on other stuff you've been putting off because you've been too busy or that you know God has already given you clearance to work on; clear your back log