Ask God to open your eyes to your wealth.
“'Don’t be afraid!'” Elisha told him. 'For there are more on our side than on theirs!' Then Elisha prayed, 'O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!' The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire."
- 2 Kings 6:16-17 (New Living Translation)
I recently found a new walking trail about a 3-minute drive from my house that takes you along this scenic route along water and nature. It truly feels like a gift that somehow I'm only just finding out about after living here for 7 years. How is that possible you may ask. It's possible because, until recently, the entire time I've lived here I haven't fully appreciated "here". I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and have had a love / hate relationship with it since moving back here from college (more hate than love, honestly). I never planned to stay in Indy but life, other circumstances & several years later, I'm still here. I used to complain so much about it but now, finally, I'm content with it.
It took a lot to get to this place though:
- A convo with a good friend of mine in the summer of last year that helped me see that I wasn't enjoying my life which spurred me on to create my new "joy tracking" system
- My therapist helping me identify more coping mechanisms that opened up more appreciation & ownership of my current space
- Breaking up with my ex and his discontent energy about this city leaving my atmosphere
- God sharing this really good sermon series at the top of 2022
- A close family member passing away that really put the value of my parents and still having them here with me into perspective
Now it's like the scales have fallen off my eyes and I can see so much wealth and treasure right here in my current home, in my current neighborhood, in my current city, in my current season & in my current life. It's like God opened my eyes like He did for the "young man" in our scripture this week. I believe there are spiritual "gifts" and wealth surrounding you right now that, if you can't see them currently, it's only a prayer away. Like Elisha told the man, I tell you:
"Don't be unhappy. For there is more wealth where you are than you realize!"
I'm sharing all this because maybe you are in a space where you're unhappy with your current state (literally or figuratively). If so, I encourage you to ask God to open your eyes. I just prayed this for you too and I'm believing that the same vision & appreciation for my "here" that I now have would fall on you too and that God enables you to see the multitude of gifts you have access to, right wherever you are in this current season of your life.
Still hungry? Eat some more //
- Matthew 6:22-23 → Jesus is talking about stinginess and generosity here but I think the principle is still the same. If you see value in where you are, you'll find value and if you don't, you won't. This is just a push to find gratitude right where you are and to remember that the grass can become greener on your side if you water it!
- If you enjoyed my devotional on communion & worthiness last week, you'll also find more support about how to incorporate communion into your everyday life and how not to do it "wrong" in this live video I shared last week too (Also please like this video & subscribe while you're there!)
- I share more about my appreciation for my single season on this IG post for any of my single ladies (or fellas) and it might be encouraging for you too
- Remember to reply back and let me know where you are with your contentment level!